Videos Captivate Our Attention
Question: As you scroll through your Facebook newsfeed, how long does it take before you see video content that seems worth watching? A good bet is less than 10 seconds and not more than three posts in, you’ve already stopped scrolling, and what you see next will determine whether you engage with the video further by clicking on it to hear the sound.
It kind of reminds me of the Daily Prophet from the Harry Potter movies. It was a newspaper with moving pictures (Maybe that’s what the newspaper industry needs to do to revitalize and revolutionize the industry! But I digress.) The characters reacted to the pictures first and the words second. The same is true in our rapidly changing online world.
Creating Video Content is Key For Your Business
If a picture is worth 1,000 words, quality video content is worth . . . A lot!
- We are skimmers as 81% of us only skim online content, we don’t read it.
- It takes milliseconds for someone to form their initial impression, and within eight seconds they’ll be on to something more interesting if you don’t “have them at hello.”
- 84% of all communications will be visual by 2018
- Even today, 85% of people are more likely to buy a product after viewing a product video.
Kind of funny when you think about it. After all, it was pictures drawn on rocks and cave walls that told the story of those that walked the earth before us. But again, I digress. Or do I?
Maximize Your Visual Assets
Compelling visuals draw you in, make you feel something, connect you literally, emotionally and/or spiritually to a moment in time and compel you to react—liking or disliking, sharing online or in person, and commenting to join the conversation. Whether or not you know who the people are in the photos above, I don’t need words to tell you what is going on. You get the picture.
With quality video content you can take that to the next level, and as marketing and public relations people we are always looking for new and different ways to connect our products and ideas with target audiences. Sometimes it can be visually literal, by showcasing the product/service/outcome, or sometimes it is a more covert approach. Consider the following ad video. It had the most shares, 6,432,941 share to be exact, across Twitter, Facebook and blogs in 2015.
As you know it is Android’s Friends Furever ad. Let’s talk about why it is so engaging.
- It’s short, with 1:01 run time
- It features animals.
- It features animals from different species being unlikely friends.
- It has music that helps connect emotionally with the visuals.
- There are only five words in the whole video.
- The words underscore the message of the visuals and the music.
- The video content is captivating and holds your attention. You don’t know until the very end who the ad is for (at least you didn’t the first time you watched it).
- It tells a story. And therein lies the secret of its success.
What’s Your Story?
Not once do you see a tablet or phone on an Android platform featured in this ad, but you certainly understand the message that everyone can be together online without having to use the same device. It’s what sets the Android operating system apart from Apple.
Large or small, businesses need to set themselves apart in a crowded marketplace, especially in our fast-moving, mobile, online world. But the clock is ticking, so if video content isn’t part of your promotional strategy today, here are some options to consider:
- Demonstrate. Use engaging video content to show how your product or service can make a difference in the lives of your consumer. How-to videos can also simplify the assembly process if it is a product that isn’t usable straight out of the box. Or you can position yourself as an expert in your field by offering tips or tricks and keep your name out in front. Seeing is believing.
- Humanize. If you’re an organization trying to gain support and make a difference in the world, show what you are doing. Maybe it’s bringing clean drinking water to people in third world countries. Showing people the challenges you are trying to help overcome, and the benefits of your efforts, will take viewers to a place they aren’t like to visit themselves, and help them relate through a shared experience.
- Testify. One of the most powerful ways to share your message is to let your customers do it for you. Take doctors for example. Your knee hurts. Who do you go see? People don’t usually look for specialists until they need one, and we know word-of-mouth from family and friends drives many patient referrals. If you feature a patient whose knee surgery from a particular doctor in your hospital got them back in the game, so to speak, and provide compelling visuals to highlight the success of the surgery and how happy the patient is post-operation, that’s the story you would want to tell.
- Introduce. Video biographies are a great way to introduce your organization and its people to prospective consumers, while giving your existing ones a way to refer or promote you online. From doctors to realtors, and even college professors, you can give people a better sense of who you are before meeting them in person, leading to a stronger connection.
- Diversify. Remember, it is about mixing up your marketing. Video content is another way to tell the same story in a different way. Think about how you can take the focus of a press release, print ad or even radio spot and turn it into a visual piece that connects online.
Lights, Camera, Action
So now you know you need to start rolling with video, but need help with a strategy and/or production? Millennium is here to help you reach audiences online and across platforms. Let’s connect at Lfanaras@mill.agency or call 1-877-873-7445.
About Millennium Agency
Millennium Agency is a nationally recognized, top woman led B2B branding, positioning, and digital marketing firm who knows how to create value that emotionally influences your customer’s buying decision, giving you the competitive advantage. As your trusted partner in B2B software technology and manufacturing, we provide the branding and positioning framework that make an impact – so you can focus on what you do best – run your business successfully. With offices in Boston and New Hampshire, and a worldwide presence, the professionals at Millennium Agency would like to learn more about your business. Visit www.mill.agency or book time here.